WHAT: The Special Education Funding Commission will hold its second public hearing this week to continue to receive testimony and discussion on the current formula for distributing special education payments to school districts in Pennsylvania.
The Special Education Funding Commission, which was established in Act 3 of 2013 to review and make recommendations regarding special education funding, has been reconstituted to review the current funding formula. A provision in Act 3 required the commission to meet every five years and reevaluate the state of special education funding in Pennsylvania. Act 16 of 2019, which became law in June, directed the commission to focus its review on the formula which distributes funding for special education services to school districts.
WHO: Special Education Funding Commission, co-chaired by Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Pat Browne (R-Lehigh), House Education Committee Chairman Curtis Sonney (R-Erie) and Education Secretary Pedro Rivera.
Tentatively scheduled to testify include:
- Christy Carucci, IU5 Special Education Director
- Bea Habursky, Assistant Superintendent, Erie City School District
- Angela Kownacki, Special Education Director, Erie City School District
- Stacey Mulson, Special Education Director, Union City Area School District
- Dean Maynard, IU5 Executive Director
- Wayde Killmeyer, IU4 Executive Director
- LaReina George, Supervisor of Student Services, Sharon City School District
- Tresa Templeton, Business Manager, Sharon City School District
- Donna Miller, Superintendent, Girard School District
- Robert Snyder, School Board President, Girard School District
- Richard Scaletta, Superintendent, General McLane School District
- Carrie Crow, School Board President, General McLane School District
- Karl Dolak, Business Manager, Harbor Creek School District
WHEN: Wednesday, October 2, 2019 at 10 a.m.
WHERE: Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit
252 Waterford Street
Edinboro, PA 16142
We invite the media to attend and cover this event.
Vicki Wilken (Senator Browne) firstname.lastname@example.org – 717-787-1349
Matt Moyer (Senator Browne) email@example.com – 717-787-1349
Brooke Haskell (Rep. Sonney) firstname.lastname@example.org – 717-260-6351
Nicole Reigelman (Secretary Rivera) email@example.com – 717-705-8642